Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"Do you know what missionaries call people like you?" September 16, 2013 from Vienna

Hey so first I just want you all to know how grateful I am for your all your support! The whole correspondence thing is turning out to be kind of hard but just know that I appreciate my letters so much! And your prayers and everything else.

So I have a new new favorite day. It's the 29th of September, which is a Sunday. When we asked Jenni to pray about a baptismal date we didn't mention that baptismal services usually take place on a Saturday or a Sunday. So when she prayed she said September 23rd was the first date to come to mind so she prayed about that date. But the church discourages having any meetings on Monday, even baptismal services.  (FYI - In the LDS Church, Monday night is set aside as "FAMILY HOME EVENING", OR FHE.   So there are never any church meetings or activities scheduled for Monday nights.  Family Home Evening has been an encouraged program of the Church since 1915. Families are encourage to spend time together and strengthen their bonds of love through sharing time  together.  Usually it involves a short lesson, a fun activity and a treat.  The responsibilities for each of these is rotated among family members so even the young ones take a turn  teaching a lesson with help. In today's busy world it is a real blessing to have FHE!).  Unmarried young adults form FHE groups as well!   
So the 29th. Yesterday she came to church and to a baptismal service at another ward that we invited her to. And her member boyfriend came to all of that too. And we didn't want to push for a lesson with her yesterday since she had three hours of church plus the baptism already, but she knew the law of chastity (FYI - The gospel of Jesus Christ teaches chastity...sexual purity before marriage and sexual relationships within marriage as a delightful bonding of husband and wife.) was up next and she wanted her boyfriend to be there so she asked to talk about it yesterday. So we did! She's just so great. And it was so good for her and her boyfriend to be at a baptism. At one point after the baptism while everyone was eating and we were waiting to have our lesson I couldn't see Jenni anywhere. And so I said to one of the elders that I had lost my investigator and did he know where she went. And he said the last time he saw her she was asking him where the dishes went and he told her the kitchen. So I went to the kitchen and what do I see? Jenni and her boyfriend in there doing dishes. Just, you know, being Christlike. Ah, I loved it.

Quote of the week: "Do you know what missionaries call people like you?"
That is what someone in our ward said to Jenni when we were at their house having dinner and a lesson with Jenni. We were talking about fasting and we asked her what she already knew about it and she had all the right answers. She has read the entire gospel principles book, after all. And then he said that and Jenni just said , "No, what?" And he said, "Golden. They call you golden." She is golden and I love her! And now you all do too! (FYI - "Golden" - used to describe someone who the Lord has really prepared to receive the Gospel and is eager to learn all they can).

We're on Chapter 6 of Our Search for Happiness this week, right Daddy? And family?

So last week P-Day was fun. The rest of our district was hear from Sankt Pollten and they were just around Stephan's Platz and when we got there they just said, "Okay sisters. We have 45 minutes before we need to leave. Show us something cool in Wien." So we asked our friend who works around Stephan's Dome what was close by (P.S. We met this friend my first P-Day in Wien when we went to Stephan`s Dome. We had a great conversation about God but in calling him since then we have figured out that he can never meet until 9:30 because of work. And we have to be home by 9:30. So we haven't met but hopefully someday.). He told us about this great fountain down the street a ways. So off we went to find it and it was just so fun to wander around this more touristy part of Wien and actually be able to just find cool things and stop and look at them for a second because it`s P-Day and we're not rushing to an appointment. So what did we find? Honestly, because I don't know the history of all these buildings, I'm still not really sure. But some really cool buildings, including the famous opera house! And some awesome street performers. And the fountain and this other really important building and the butterfly house! Which I have been looking for. So we're hopefully going to the butterfly house today. 

Sorry this was so short. I'm the worst. But I love you all so much! Dave, I'll think on a story that doesn't have to do with church. That P-Day story didn't though! It's just really great that I live in Vienna. I'm happy being a missionary. Yesterday I was trying to figure out something about my name tag and where to put it and it was one of those funny moments when you are enveloped in the obvious and it just dawned on me again that I was really a missionary!  I just thought, "Wait am I really having to worry right now about where to put a missionary tag?" It's crazy. I'm becoming more and more confident talking in lessons. I have always talked in lessons, but now I'm feeling better about it.
Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment