Thursday, October 17, 2013

"This girl is so teachable" - October 14, 2013 - Transfer Day in Vienna

Transfer story from Kate's companion, Sister Judd.   Just can't resist sharing the wonderful things she said about  Katie.  I'm anticipating that this will be a challenging transfer for Katie. So far, she's been a "newbie", with an experienced trainer in Sister Judd to look to for language help etc.  Now she will be with Sister McEwen, a roommate from the MTC who is  Scottish, who is just as new as she is! As Sister Judd says below, it is unusual for a "Golden (their term for a new trainee) to leave an area so soon.  Good Luck Sister Kate!!! In my thoughts and prayers multiple times a day!

From Sister Judd's letter home this week - "Once upon a time, it was Friday morning in Vienna. We start our day at 6:30 by doing "exercise" which includes sometimes walks, jogs, pushups, stretching...depends on the day. 7AM Sister Lew and I start our personal study and the other two sisters get ready for the day. Around...7:30 or so...we hear screaming in the other room...Sister Clark and Sister Harman are staying together. Sister Harman was so excited because everyone and their mom was saying she was leaving, and she was NOT havin it. Well...she is staying! Time passes, and we finish our personal study, and a billion text messages come from all the people who found out they are staying. We then realize...something is going to change since the Zone leaders didn't call us. We start getting ready for the day, and I tease Sister Lewis that, "You know, you could be going too." She looks at me and goes, "You don't really think that, do you?" I laughed and told her no, because in all reality, while it had crossed my mind a couple times, we all knew it was a slim chance and everyone was convinced I would follow my three transfers per area pattern and pack my bags and head to my dying area (where she would finish her mission) . We are ready, and start our comp study, which actually turned into a long talk with our roomies about how many are staying..we expected tons of change this transfer. Time keeps passing and...the phone starts ringing. Sister Lew looks at me as if she is not sure what to do...I tell her to grab the phone. Elder Bailey, the assistant, told her to put it on speaker, and was talking about how well we work together. I look at her and said, " we are getting transferred together to a new area!" The way he was going on and on we were kind of really convinced. Well...this follows by him telling Sister Lew to pack her bags, and that she was heading to Schafhausen, Switzerland! Yeah, shocker! Then he tells me that Sister Motto (Sister Clarks golden) is coming here to work with me in Wien 1! After a little more small talk we hang up and all just look at each other so surprised. We start making calls to tell people and as soon as we say Sister Lew is leaving, everyone assumes I am training again, because of how unusual it is for a golden to leave so quick. Well...needless to say, it was hard on Sister Lew, and I was way bummed. I am stoked to stay, but I really wanted to stay...with HER! I have never had a comp for three transfers :( And if I was going to be able to have one for three, I pick her, here. But...God decided otherwise, and it feels right. I keep telling Sister Lew that she has a great work ahead of her, and the reason she needs to go is definitely existent. I also believe she will be thrown a lot her way on her mission. Shout out to her parents...because this girl is so teachable. I have honestly never met somebody so open, willing, and wanting to learn. She just is a little sponge. She doesn't complain, she doesn't whine, she just wants to learn and she just sucks up all advice, all opinions, she just does. I know Gods going to throw tons of learning opportunities her way because she will USE them. I think that may be one of the highest compliments I could give a person, and she wins the cake. I love her. I am going to miss her, and this probably means I wont see her until I am sitting at her homecoming talk, but I will be there. I love her!" 

As Kate's mom, I am so grateful for Sister Candace Judd and all she has taught Katie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment