Sunday, December 1, 2013

"Pimping up our planners" - November 25, 2013 - Schaffhausen, Switzerland


HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

So this week . . . TRANSFER CALLS, SNOW, AND THE TEMPLE!

As a missionary in Switzerland I have the privilege of going to the temple once a transfer!! (FYI - "Transfers" occur every six weeks.  Every six weeks you hear from the Mission President and learn where you will be serving for the next six weeks and who your companion will be.  So,"a transfer" in terms of time = 6 week)  So we went last week and it was great. We got to do initiatory and a session.  (FYI - I wrote a bit about temples in the      post.  An "initiatory" is an ordinance that every one going to the temple receives.  It is essentially a summary of the many blessings our Heavenly Father has for us now and through the eternities. A "session" is an "endowment session" - an endowment is a gift - it is an approximately 90-minute teaching session that is highly symbolic in nature and reviews the Plan of Salvation, and is a time of making covenants - promises - to Heavenly Father.  Just as the Parables of Jesus were highly symbolic, so is the endowment.  As we participate in an endowment session it is a time to feel peace, reassurance, renew our commitments to living the Gospel and learn new things from the symbolism of the teachings.)

There's a lot of heartbreak because as a missionary you teach someone and you just love them and want so much for them to receive all the blessings of living the Gospel  and then . . . they don't progress the way you would wish them to. (FYI - Individual agency is one of the core beliefs of the LDS faith.  So although missionaries eagerly seek out those wanting to learn more about our beliefs, each individual has to decide for themselves and if an "investigator" doesn't want to learn more that is obviously their choice and is respected by the missionary).

Right now we're still just trying to get over a few heartbreaks, but honestly you almost always are as a missionary. At least I am. I told you we don't have a baptismal date anymore with R., right? Yeah that's one of the hard ones. But we are seeing miracles. We have a sort of "prayer roll" so that we don't forget anyone that we want to pray for. And we obviously pray for the people we meet with and for their needs. And there were a few people that we prayed to have contact with again and we have had contact with every one of them since we started praying for that. But now there are more people that we need to pray to have contact with again.

Mom and Linds - I still have this kind of daydream that you come help me and Sister McEwen finish cleaning and organizing this apartment and we just get to talk! And you give me cleaning advice. (Funny, don't you think?)

So I just love love love our branch president and his family. We were at their house for dinner yesterday and it was so great and they're just so Swiss and adorable and they keep all the Swiss traditions and honestly through them I'm recognizing some of the ways that my Swiss heritage has really shaped me. Just the way my mommy raised me! Yesterday we went through her Christmas Cookie book finding the ones that I'm used to making. (will you send me a very detailed Mailanderli recipe? Mailanderli for dummies?) We have baking scales but I forgot how to use them. (My parents have always made about 8 varieties of Swiss Christmas cookies and much of my Christmas season as a child was spent cracking nuts and baking.  These are VERY different from your average American cookie, believe me!  Mailanderlis are perhaps the most conventional of the bunch). 

So this one time I was talking to a woman on the bus and she had met missionaries before and I asked her if the other missionaries were nice. I just wanted to know if they had made any kind of impression on her. And we had been talking for a while at this point and she thought I was telling her that she was nice (maybe because of my not-so-clear German) and she said thank you and seemed very happy that I told her that. Then she said that we (me and Sister McEwen) had a special light about us and she asked us where in Schaffhausen our church is!!  There are several questions that I just love it when people ask me. "Where is your church?" is one of them. Well she wasn't really wanting to meet with us and she hasn't come to church yet, but sometimes good conversations on the bus just mean a lot to me, as you can tell from my stories. And the fact that she even knows there is an LDS church in Schaffhausen is great. And I promise we teach lessons too.

We had a good lesson with an older lady that we visit every week. There was some weird miscommunication about when we were meeting, but Sister McEwen and I are pretty sure it was meant to be because since she didn't realize we were coming (or rather her husband didn't) her husband was still upstairs and so we got to talk to him a lot more than we normally do and make friends with him. So hopefully from now on he will be less inclined to hide from us in the basement! We also met with a potential that we found last week and I just can't figure out how to explain to her what we believe. I've been trying to study for it but I need to even more. She's sort of atheist and she kept saying that she doesn't want to feel like there's a God who has given her everything who she has to feel like she is eternally indebted to. I mean, that's the truth, but I can see not wanting to feel like you owe someone everything. And she also feels like energy and power is spread out, it couldn't just belong to one all-powerful being. So yeah, if you have any ideas you let me know. Because then we started sharing what we believe and she kind of was just like, "You realize that this is the opposite of everything that I just told you I believe, right?" Wellll yeahhhh. And the answer is usually to pray about it but in teaching her how to pray it came up again that she doesn't want to feel like she has to thank God for everything. But she likes talking to us and she agreed to come to church next week.

Also I think you should tell the family I'm here. It's likely that I'll be here for a while and I'm hoping I'll be in Winterthur on austausch ("exchange" - going to another area for the day) sometime again. Also people like to visit Schaffhausen. Did I mention it's adorable?

And yeah we did have snow. And also transfer calls but don't worry Sister McEwen and I are staying together. But it sounds like tons happened in Wien! Read Sister Judd's blog!! Sister Packer is headed to the international ward in Wien, Sister Kervinen is going to Brixon, Italy, and Sister Judd is off to Graz to replace Sister Kervinen and now she and her new companion are sister training leaders! I love you family!!

Quote of the week is Sister McEwen talking about us "pimping up our planners." (I'm almost absolutely sure Elders - male missionaries - don't do this!  But Kate and her companions love to decorate their planners, use multiple colors etc. Funny.)

"Virtually everyone you know could be blessed in some way by your ministering." - David L. Beck "Your Sacred Duty to Minister"


Yeah I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment