Wednesday, July 10, 2013

MTC Wednesday Letter - "Piep piep piep, wir haben uns alle lieb Guten Appetit." July 10, 2013


Fammmilllyyyy!! Where to start. Maybe with one of my funniest stories. So we do this thing called TRC (Teaching Recourse Center) where members who speak German come and we go share a message with them. It's more low-key than our investigators and we think it's so fun. So last time at TRC we taught this really nice man and we had all just been chatting so he knew where we were all from and right after I read a scripture he said, "You speak German with a Finnish accent." Ha ha ha ha ha ha. It makes sense since I'm with Sister Kervinen all day every day! So you're right Daddy, I am a mimic! Only I seem to be mimicking the wrong thing. Hopefully my accent will improve once I get to GERMANY IN TWO WEEKS! Ah life is good.

Oh so you asked about what Sister Packer was talking about with the dress stuff. The time she asked me to change was when I wore my spandex pants to work out in (ha ha bad move). And I could totally understand that so there was no drama. I'm keeping them though in case I want to wear them in the winter under shorts when I'm working out. The dress that I've decided is just barely too short is the Boden one with solid gray on top and stripes on the bottom. So I'll send it home and it will be fun to wear when I get back.
 
Letters, letters, letters. Maybe this will make it sound like I'm getting tons of letters and people will be less inclined to write me. That is NOT what I want to happen! But I want to say THANK YOU! Thank you to Marilyn, James, Grandma, Aunt Janie, Uncle Randal, Mikkel, Brother Syd, Collin, Ciarah, Phil, Sister Williamson, Jesse, Tara, Bella, Joe, Lindsey, Mommy, and Daddy for the letters/Dear Elders. And thank you to Chelsea, Court, and Aunt Brenda for the emails. And thank you to Sister Williamson, the Harknesses, and Mom for the packages!


The first day of my mission I wondered what I was going to do with all of this study time. What exactly would I spend all this time studying? Now I feel like there are not enough hours in the day to study. Most of my study is focused on my untersuchers (investigators). We normally teach zwei untersuchers jeden tag. Oh look at that. I speak German. Well not quite. But seriously that kind of just came out. Zwei untersuchers jeden tag=two investigators every day. I'm getting good at Danglish. Deustch is another matter. But it's coming. Slowly but surely. But I feel like we have so much to do to prepare to teach our investigators. And our lessons have been going well. They have both committed to prepare for baptism. Our companionship is becoming a better and better team.

FYI - In the MTC there are volunteers from the community who come to the MTC to serve as "investigators", the term used to describe individuals who are investigating the church.  Many of them are returned missionaries who speak the language.  This is obviously great practice for the missionary in the MTC to practice conversations of a spiritual nature.  

FYI - In our faith, baptism is an important covenant we make with our Heavenly Father.  We baptize by immersion.  Babies in our faith are not baptized as infants because we believe a child enters the world pure and without sin and is in fact incapable of sin because they are in an age of innocence.  A baby is given a special blessing, and we believe that 8 is the "age of accountability" when a child can make the decision to be baptized. 
 
My Spanish is being replaced with German. The other day when I tried to formulate a sentence in Spanish I was struggling. One of my teachers, Brüder Hill (who is AMAZING), studied Spanish before he went on his mission to Germany so he understands what I'm saying when a Spanish word comes out. The other day he explained to me the difference kennen and wissen by relating them to conocer and saber. Brilliant. And he avoids speaking English at all costs so sometimes he explains to me what a word means by saying it in Spanish.

So one time we had a fire drill because someone pulled the fire alarm just for fun at 6:30 am. So it was just like an extra loud alarm because that is when we get up every day except we had to leave the building and stay outside for a while. But I didn't think a SISTER missionary would do that. I have been very impressed with how cute the sister missionaries are dressing. ASOS didn't let us down. At the same time I sometimes wonder why it's so hard for us to follow the dress code (It said no denim and no see-thru. Can you read?). Seriously though, there are so many cute sisters.

FYI - in October of 2012 it was announced that young women could now apply to become missionaries at the age of 19 and young men at the age of 18.  Previously young men could go at 19 and young women not until 21.  After the age of eligibility changed, the number of young people volunteering to serve a mission skyrocketed, especially among girls.  So now there are MANY more young women serving missions than ever before.  In addition, up until a few years ago (I don't remember exactly when) the dress guidelines for female missionaries were much more conservative than they are now.  Typically they wore longer skirts and solid colors etc.  But now they are encouraged to maintain standards of modesty while embracing color, pattern and style in a way that fits their own personality and the culture where they are serving.  So, as girls will be girls, shopping for missionary clothes has become a topic of interest and conversation among girls serving missions.  

Wanna hear another funny story? One time the elders in my district were teaching an investigator about the kingdoms of glory and they said "Dritte Reich." Afterwards in class our teacher, who was the investigator (well Brüder Hill - I guess you know who he is now), explained that if you're going to say "Dritte Reich" you have to make sure that you say "Dritte Reich der Herrlichkeit." Ha ha ha ha ha. Germans are pretty sensitive to "Dritte Reich."  

The quote this week is  "Piep piep piep, wir haben uns alle lieb Guten Appetit." (Christie's translation of this is " Piep, piep piet, all of us that we love have a good appetite" in a rhyme.)  We say that every day when we leave class to go to lunch.
The Fourth of July was fun! We had a special fireside and then watched 17 Miracles. And then they had Magnum Bars and people watched fireworks. I say people because me and my companions actually did not. We were soooooo tired that we went upstairs and started getting ready for bed. We were still in bed late. But I have watched the Stadium of Fire fireworks show probably 15 times in my life so it wasn't a big deal to miss it.

Love you family!! Thanks for your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment