Monday, June 2, 2014

"cute little romantic place or . . . " June 2, 2014 From Solothurn, Switzerland

Dear Family!

Sooooo did I ever tell you that Switzerland is the best? Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American, but Switzerland just has so many things right! Anyway, I forgot to tell you that last Sunday they had this entire street closed. No cars allowed. It was a bike day! Bikes, scooters, rollerblades, and such were the only thing allowed on this major road the whole day. It was adorable. Also this morning Sister Blohm and I recycled some more old sister missionary clothes. There are places to recycle all over the place, even for old clothes (although they seem to be lacking in opportunities to recycle cardboard in some areas). I love Switzerland. For so many reasons.

Sister Blohm and I went on a hike this morning! I was a happy Sister Lewis. And Sister Blohm was happy too. So we went just from our front door to this trail up the mountain that we found one time when we went running but this time we got to take the trail and do some exploring. And of course the best part was going on the smaller side trails so that you felt like you were actually hiking. It was on one of these side trails that we found this secluded bench. Here's what Sister Blohm had to say about it: 

"Either this is a cute little romantic place or an isolated place where people get killed."

That girl has seen way too many scary movies and TV shows about crime. She even admits it. I have never heard someone make so many references to killing (see a former quote of the week!).

XX and X (one of her daughters!) came to church yesterday!!! XX is one of the members who hasn’t come to church in quite a while and we see her regularly but yesterday was the first time she has been at church since I have been here and since Sister Blohm has been here. She has promised to come other times, but something always got in the way. Last week she really was going to come but she somehow slept in. This week the elders happened to run into her at the train station and Elder Kelly asked XX if she was coming to church. XX said yes. So here's another quote of the week from yesterday:

Elder Kelly: I invited XX to come to church and she came!
Me: Yeah that was so good you should do that more often!
Elder Kelly: Well right now I have a 100% record of XX coming to church when I invite her and I think I'll keep it that way. What's your record, Sister Lewis?
Me: Um, 5%.

Yes, we have one of THOSE relationships!  He’s a great missionary and a lot of fun to work with.

We really are having some success with our less actives members. We also have this new investigator named C who we already love and who we also have our hopes way up for. We are teaching her and her son and her son's friend. We actually found them dooring! They live right by each other. 

CTH was doing really well. She came to our awesome ward activity on Thursday. She brought her little daughter and her little daughter found an instant best friend. She said she really felt something there. Before she told us she wasn't sure about coming to church but after the activity she told us she was sure she would come on Sunday. But, she didn't. She also didn't answer our phone call or our text. So we have no idea what's going on there.

Daddy I'm worried about your back. Get well soon.

You have new pictures in dropbox!!

Yesterday was a super good fast and testimony meeting. We had two less actives and two new converts bear their testimonies.

So one of the less actives that we are working with isn't so less active right now, she just has to work sometimes on Sundays (She is one of the ones who bore her testimony yesterday! I loved it.). But it's always hard to know because before she really was less active less active and lived with a man she wasn't married to and stuff. She has a daughter, M, who is 14 and not baptized but she comes to church very often and she also almost always goes to Young Womens. (The church organization that is for 12 - 18 year old girls...they meet together for an hour on Sunday and also once during the week).  When her mom doesn't go to church she sometimes goes with a friend who is a member. And I just haven't had so many opportunities to talk to her but last week I decided I was going to find a way to talk to her at church no matter what. I feel like I have been getting reminders from Heavenly Father that I need to try and help M make progress in the gospel because she has kept randomly coming into my head. And then last week she wasn't at church. Nooo! So we wrote her mom and her a note this week and visited her mom and at church I basically cornered her. Church was already over and she was about to leave and we were about to leave but I had to talk to her. So there wasn't exactly time for too much small talk. I had already said hi to her earlier so I just got to the point. I basically just blurted out something like, "Are you interested in us coming to teach you more about the church or do you not have time?" Her mom had told us we could talk to M about teaching her but that M is easily stressed and doesn't feel like she has enough time. But M said, "Doch!" When used in this way, doch means, "No, you're wrong!" Like disagreeing with whatever you just said. So she meant it as in, "No, I do have time!" So I asked when we could come and we have an appointment for this Thursday. And then I asked her if there was something in particular she wanted us to prepare for our lesson and she said "Surprise me." So that should be fun. I think we'll have continue being pretty direct with her.


Well family I love you! Thanks for being so good to me. Jesus is the Christ and I love Him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment