Monday, June 23, 2014

"Fruchtbar instead of furchtbar" - June 23, 2014 - From Solothurn

Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy Family!

Sister Blohm and I had a much better week this week. Thanks for sending extra prayers our way. I'm pretty sure somebody did some serious praying on Friday because it was a major miracle day. I was seriously wondering who maybe went to the temple and put us on the prayer roll ( you can call the temple, or when you are there, add names to the "prayer roll" - which is a collection of names that are prayed about during a temple service).  We left the house that day with two extra Book of Mormons. One was in Italian and one was in French. We had two potentials who we needed to deliver Book of Mormons to and they spoke these languages. As we were going out the door Sister Blohm said, "I hope we don't give out these Book of Mormons to someone else so that these people can get them." And I said, "I hope we do! We can always visit the other people another day." So together we made the goal that we would go out to deliver these Book of Mormons to the people who had already requested them, but we would do everything we could to find other people to give them to. On the bus no one would talk to me but I heard a lady behind me speaking on the phone in French. She and her boyfriend got off at the same bus stop that we were already getting off at. I said, "Sister Blohm, I think they speak French." And then we basically followed them ha ha. They were fast walkers but we finally caught up with them and just street contacted them and introduced them to the Book of Mormon, of which we just so happened to have a French copy. So after we introduced the Book of Mormon the boyfriend said, "No, we only believe in Jesus Christ." And then I explained again that this Book was all about Jesus Christ. And I showed him how right on the cover it says, "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." And he said, "But look how much bigger Mormon is on the book than Jesus Christ." And then I told him, "Look at my nametag. What name do you see there?" Then he believed us that Jesus Christ really is the center of our church and he and his girlfriend took the Book of Mormon and gave us their information so we can contact them again. So then we set off to give the Italian Book of Mormon to the woman who had requested it. Turns out she didn't really want it. So we left her apartment determined to still give away this Italian Book of Mormon. We spoke to everyone and knocked on some doors, specifically ones with an Italian flag, but couldn't find someone who would want a copy of the Book of Mormon in Italian. After a while it was time to go to our appointment with X (a less active). So we went and visited her, and at the end of our discussion we asked her if there was anything we could do for her. She said yes, that she has a friend who speaks Portuguese who she wants to share the gospel with, so could we please bring her a Portuguese Book of Mormon? So we said of course, and Sister Blohm said, "Too bad right now we only have Book of Mormons in German and Italian with us." And then X said, "Oh I could give the one in Italian to my boss!" So then we talked about how she might go about doing that, and we gave X the Italian Book of Mormon, to give away to her boss. And it was the best lesson ever with X! So Friday was a really good day.

German slip ups . . .

One time Sister Lewis said fruchtbar (fertile) instead of furchtbar (terrible)

One time in GMK . . .
Sister Blohm (talking about an investigator . . . now former investigator . . . she is an old woman and we got a really nasty phone call from someone who is responsible for her.):  She said "We met her in an emergancy (notfall)".
Everyone in the meeting (the GML and the elders) perked up like, "Oh this is going to be a good story."
Me to Sister Blohm: Notfall means emergency.
Elder Kelly to Sister Blohm: Oh, you meant zufall (coincidence).

Guess who got the Aaronic Priesthood yesterday? G.. Our  new wonderful convert. I’m so happy for him.

Me (meeting the new golden on the phone): Do you speak German?
Elder Cottam: No, not really.
Me: Good me either.

Elder Kelly's golden is from Utah! And we have another golden in the district who is also from America! That means Americans now have the majority in a district in Switzerland. I think this is the first time that has happened since Americans weren't allowed to serve here anymore.

Dienst (service). This week we watered a family's plants while they were out of town (that worked out because they live right next to the church a.k.a. right next to us). We also got to work in a garden again pulling weeds. Yayyyyyyy!

Ch is falling of the map. She never answers and her son claims her phone is not working and every time we go by she is not home. Noooooo! Don't worry we'll keep trying.

Ch and a few other people we try to visit live in Balshal. I really like Balsthal. I have this dream that one day there will be a branch in Balsthal. And then someday a ward! I just really like it there. I think it is one of the most beautiful parts of my area. It also takes a while to get there (we have to take two different trains). But almost every time we go I see three castles (One of them is a pretty ugly fortress castle but it still counts. And the other two are so pretty).

We saw Michelle again this week! She's super great and she has such great questions. She had read the first two chapters of First Nephi on her own. And she came to church.

We also went mini-golfing with the relief society plus Michelle came too because her mom brought her. So that was some good bonding time with her. Mini-golf here was weird it's not on grass and the ball rolls way more. I was terrible, and Sister Blohm was worse. Ha ha I think the sisters in the ward must have been impressed.

I'm watching the America vs. Germany game on Thursday with my best friend Esther Jäger (the innactive who is the bishop's sister. And she really is my best friend ha ha.). Pray for a miracle a.k.a that America will win.

What else. Sorry I never really tell you that much actually maybe. A lot more happens during the week then I ever write down (I never claimed to be the world's best journal-keeper or email-writer). But we work hard every day. One time you asked for a typical day but there really is NO SUCH THING. Every day is different. Some days go as planned, some don't. But the church is true, the book is blue, and Jesus was a Mormon! Ha ha Kris Fredrickson told me Matt always says that in his emails and I thought it was so cute. So I'm stealing it just for today.

Tell Grandma her cards have been getting to me and I am thankful for them.

This week my mission president will change. I'm so looking forward to meeting him and his family.


I hope you're all doing well. Love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment